Where We've Come From

Christ Chapel is an independent, interdenominational church which began in North Knoxville in 1963. In the late seventies, the church decided to plant a new congregation in the Fort Sanders community to minister to UT students. The Christ Chapel located at the corner of Highland Ave. and 16th Street began with approximately 50 people in March of 1982. In the summer of 1987, both congregations recombined into the existing congregation in Fort Sanders.

Click here for a brief history of the Christ Chapel building.

How We Work

 

We do not maintain a formal membership roster, but recognize our membership on the basis of participation in the ministry here. We heartily welcome new members at any time. All members of Christ Chapel are needed and encouraged to use their gifts to minister so that the church body will function well (1 Corinthians 12).

Our People

 

Members of Christ Chapel are from many different places and backgrounds. We are interdenominational, which means that people from all Christian denominations, or no church background at all, are welcome. Our members live all over the metropolitan Knoxville area, coming from Maryville, Seymour, Andersonville, Strawberry Plains, Oak Ridge and all points in between.

The place where we gather is near the center of the city which offers many opportunities to minister to segments of our population we would not be able to serve otherwise. Our proximity to the University of Tennessee with its more than 20,000 students, many from foreign countries, offers special challenges.  We welcome the opportunity to be a blessing to these students and to influence lives for Christ in the Fort Sanders neighborhood.

Christ Chapel - 1538 Highland Ave., Knoxville, TN 37916